Two Penguins

My name is Megan. I have a husband, Nick, and we are the proud parents of two crazy dogs. We live in Kentucky, and we love it. I'm trying to bring style into our home one project at a time.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A little project

So, over the weekend I just couldn't stand looking at my little black bookshelf anymore. I had been researching online how to paint cheap Walmart furniture, because that's what it was/is. I read a little blurb I found on Google and followed the directions.

I used Kilz oil based primer and just some cheap white water based paint over that.
I used a brush for the primer, but in hindsight I should have used a roller because it left
some brush marks. But, no one will even notice unless they're super close up so it's no big deal. I used a white foam roller I bought at Home Depot for the paint. It put the paint on so smooth and it looks really great. I used one coat of primer and two coats of white semi-gloss paint over that.

While painting I managed to get paint in my hair, all over my dog and on every limb of my body!! But the bookshelf is so much eaier to live with now, I'm totally OK with a little paint on my arms. The only other thing I'm waiting to do is maybe use a stencil down each side of it, but we'll see. Here is the pictoral evidence that I am handy!!!! LOL

I gathered stuff from around my house that wasn't doing anything, popped that pic I took into a cheap frame with computer paper behind it et voila! The piggy bank was a wedding gift that came stuffed with 1 dollar bills =)
I took the jackets off some hardback books and stacked those over to one side.
The white tray on top is used as a catch all. I usually put stuff in there that I need to take with me when I leave the house.
The white flower bowl is currently housing birthday cards from friends and family.
We keep our laptop on the top shelf b/c we ALWAYS need it at hand for something, plus we don't have a working office right now.

This little project is like a springboard for me bc now I want to do all the other little projects I've been putting off. Here are the pics:



Sorry the pictures aren't very good, my dog was being annoying and I didn't know I was on movie mode there for a little bit. But anywhoosie, hope you enjoy!

xoxo

OH! PS: I still need something for the bottom right...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home